Nearly 80% of Canadians believe they require annual returns of 4% or higher from their portfolios to reach their retirement savings goals, according to a poll conducted for the asset management subsidiary of Toronto-based CIBC (TSX: CM). However, 67% choose not to invest in products with potentially higher returns, such as stocks, for fear of losing money. Related news Keywords Retirement Share this article and your comments with peers on social media “The disconnect between investors’ return expectations and portfolio allocations could be a barrier to reaching retirement savings goals, especially as we see continued downward pressure on interest rates,” says Steve Fiorelli, managing director of CIBC Asset Management. While 42% of Canadians state they will likely invest in stocks and mutual funds holding stocks, the same number of investors will likely stick with guaranteed investment certificates (GIC), savings accounts and other guaranteed investments. Bonds and mutual funds holding bonds are the likely investment choice for 12% of investors while 5% see themselves investing in exchange-traded funds. The poll also showed a distinct difference between how men and women plan to invest their money. Recent market volatility is motivating 65% of women and 47% of men to take a more conservative approach to investing. Only 35% of women are planning to invest primarily in stocks, compared to 52% of men who say the same thing. It’s not surprising to see fear creep into investing decisions given the sharp increase in market volatility since the collapse of oil prices but investors need to remain focused on their overall long-term investment goals. They should also consider that Canada’s major stock market returned 10.6%, including dividends, in 2014 in spite of the plunge in oil prices and that the S&P/TSX composite total return index has posted an annualized return of 7.6% over the past decade, according to Fiorelli. “For investors very close to retirement or those with low risk tolerances, a guaranteed product is an option, but if you are looking over the mid-to-long term, history shows the markets do outperform,” he says. The poll’s results were gathered from a representative sample 1,505 adult Canadians holding investment portfolios for retirement, using an online survey conducted by Leger between Nov. 21-25, 2014. The margin of error is plus or minus 2.53%, 19 times out of 20. Survey finds Canadians aren’t sure how much they’ll need for retirement Tessie Sanci Snowbirds win legal battle to reinstate out-of-province medical coverage Earnings surge for Great-West Lifeco in Q4 Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
SamsungSmart homes Author Saleha joined Mobile World Live in October 2014 as a reporter and works across all e-newsletters – creating content, writing blogs and reports as well as conducting feature interviews…More Read more Google renueva Android y muestra novedades en IA Tags Samsung Electronics confirmed it updated tools covering its Bixby voice assistant and made revisions to its SmartThings IoT ecosystem, in a bid to help developers build, launch and scale their products.“The progress made to Bixby and SmartThings opens a new chapter where third-party products and services can be integrated to the artificial intelligence and IoT platforms at scale,” DJ Koh, president and CEO of Samsung’s IT & Mobile Communications Division, said in a statement.Reports earlier this week had tipped the vendor to be preparing changes to enable developers to access Bixby, as it seeks to step up its challenge to rivals Amazon Alexa, Apple’s Siri and Google Assistant.Samsung revealed the updates at its annual developer conference, where it also took the wraps off a new flexible display technology.“The foldable display lays the foundation for a new kind of mobile experience. We are excited to work with developers on this new platform to create new value for our customers,” Koh added.BixbySamsung launched the Bixby Developer Studio “to bring a more conversational, personal and useful intelligent assistant experience to more consumers” by helping developers “infuse intelligence into more services and devices.”Developers will be able to more easily create Bixby Capsules, features or services created for the voice assistant, and make them accessible to consumers in the Bixby Marketplace.They can also tailor the Capsules to other consumer electronics products manufactured by Samsung, including TVs and home appliances.SmartThingsSamsung updated its SmartThings Developer Workspace to make it easier for developers to connect their devices and services to its IoT ecosystem via the SmartThings app.The enhanced tools include SmartThings Cloud Connector, Device Kit and Hub Connector. There is also a new Works with SmartThings certification programme to give developers access to SmartThings experts and resources. Subscribe to our daily newsletter Back Previous ArticleLenovo touts signs of mobile turnaroundNext ArticleNCSOFT readies mobile gaming push Asia Saleha Riaz AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore 08 NOV 2018 Related Samsung boosts logic chip investment by $34B KT makes LG Electronics trade-in move Home Samsung seeks broad developer backing for Bixby
iStock/Thinkstock(HOUSTON) — A 7-year-old girl was shot and killed in a Walmart parking lot in Houston early Sunday when a gunman opened fire on a vehicle she was traveling in with her mother and three other young girls, authorities said.The girl, who has not been identified, was leaving the Walmart at 15491 Wallisville at Beltway in the Wallisville section at about 7 a.m. when an unknown man shot into their car, according to the Harris County Sheriff’s Office. “Mother & daughter were in a car leaving a store when an unknown male began shooting into their car for an unknown reason,” Sheriff Ed Gonzalez tweeted.Jesse Razo, a major with the Sheriff’s Office, said a news briefing that the suspect was driving a red pickup truck with no plates.The suspect “pulled up next to the vehicle and began shooting into the vehicle,” Razo said. The girl’s mother was shot, too, Gonzalez said. She was wounded in the arm but is expected to survive, officials said.In addition to the girl and her mother, two teenagers and a younger girl were also in the car, Gonzalez said: the teen girls were not hurt, and the girl suffered “glass fragment injuries.”Razo said the girls were “shaken” and “devastated.” The suspect, who was wearing a red hoodie, fled in a red truck, Gonzalez said. He was described as being in his 40s and having a beard, Razo said.He was still at large as of Sunday morning.“He is considered armed and dangerous,” Razo said.The motive for the shooting was not immediately known. Homicide detectives were scouring the area and checking surveillance video for clues.“We’re going to use all resources available to bring this killer to justice,” Razo said.He urged the suspect to surrender.“Because we will be looking for you, we will locate you, we will find you,” Razo said.The Sheriff’s Office urged anyone with information to call 911, tweet at @CrimeStopHOU or call 713-222-TIPS.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
The company of Pretty Woman: The Musical, including stars Samantha Barks, Andy Karl, Orfeh, Eric Anderson, director Jerry Mitchell, songwriter Jim Vallance and more, celebrated 100 Broadway performances on November 13. That’s 100 times Barks and Karl’s characters, Vivian and Edward, have become unlikely soulmates, 100 bathtub jams for Barks (a la Julia Roberts in the film) and 100 powerhouse belts of “Welcome to Hollywood” for Orfeh. The company celebrated with a cake that pays homage to the sparkly gift Edward gives Vivian before the opera. Check out the photos, and then go see the show at the Nederlander Theatre! Samantha Barks and Any Karl hug it out to celebrate 100 performances of Pretty Woman. Samantha Barks Congrats to the company of Broadway’s Pretty Woman! Catch the romantic musical comedy at the Nederlander Theatre. Star Files Pretty Woman: The Musical Show Closed This production ended its run on Aug. 18, 2019 Related Shows View Comments Andy Karl
Nokia will be introducing its 4.9G technology by the end of 2017, allowing operators to dramatically enhance their network performance and manage the significantly higher infrastructure demands on the path to 5G. They have developed a 4.9G massive MIMO Adaptive Antenna that will increase cell capacity by up to five times and a new 4.5G Pro AirScale Micro Remote Radio Head (RRH) that will allow operators to take advantage of unlicensed spectrum to enable Gigabit speeds.Nokia 4.9G will provide significant increases in capacity and several Gigabits of speed-per-second on the path to 5G. The introduction of the AirScale massive MIMO Adaptive Antenna is a milestone in the delivery of 4.9G, driving capacity increases for megacity deployments. At Mobile World Congress 2017, Nokia – working with the US service provider Sprint – will demonstrate the technology using 3D Beamforming software to deliver throughput gains of up to eightfold for the uplink and fivefold for the downlink. The demonstration will leverage commercially-available devices operating on TD-LTE band 41.The AirScale massive MIMO launch complements Nokia 4.9G Cloud RAN technology. At Mobile World Congress 2017, Nokia will give a world-first demonstration of Cloud Single RAN running virtualized 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G radios and 2G and 3G network controllers over commercial AirScale and AirFrame platforms.A range of AirScale Active Antennas will complement Nokia’s existing commercial Radio Antenna System. In addition to the AirScale massive MIMO Adaptive Antenna, the AirScale Compact Active Antenna will provide an even leaner site solution that increases performance and lowers operators’ costs.Nokia will also make 4.5G Pro Gigabit data speeds a reality now for operators with limited and disparate blocks of spectrum, while allowing them to densify networks with the commercial introduction of a new AirScale Micro Remote Radio Head (RRH). This will allow macro sites to leverage unlicensed spectrum using Licensed Assisted Access (LAA).As cities grow and the world’s population becomes increasingly urban, operators need to rapidly densify networks in city locations while slashing costs and CO2 emissions. Nokia is introducing enhancements to its AirScale base station that will allow them to do this with the most compact footprint while reducing operational costs by up to 40 percent. The new AirScale multiband remote radio heads include the world’s first triple-band example, while Nokia is also launching new frequency variants. Nokia Zero Emission 3.0 will reduce operators’ energy consumption by up to 50 percent using new hardware and software features while the Intelligent Deployment Platform uses automation to accelerate AirScale deployment life cycle by up to 40 percent.Nokia continues to innovate using 4.5G Pro and 4.9G technologies and will highlight many of its ultra-broadband developments at Mobile World Congress, including: World-first demonstration of 4.9G AirScale technology to achieve 3 Gbps peak rates World-first demonstration of 4.5G Pro CBRS-FDD four carrier aggregation connected to Nokia Bell Labs Spectrum Access System (SAS) using a commercial chipset Nokia Bell Labs Liquid Cooling demonstration converting 80 percent of base station waste into useful heat to reduce site power costs.
ANSA McAL Trading Limited, one of the largest distribution companies in Guyana, is the official beverage sponsor for the Guyana Softball Cup 8. At a simple ceremony at the company’s head office, divisional head, Kelvin Singh thanked the Guyana Floodlight Softball Cricket Association for having ANSA McAL’s Stag Beer, Lucozade and iCool juice drink on board as the official beverage sponsor of the eighth edition of their tournament.“Just to let you know, this is the seventh year that ANSA McAL has been involved in this competition. When we were first approached with respect to sponsoring the competition, we signed onto it in fulfilment of our mandate in supporting the development of sports in Guyana and by extension, softball cricket,” Singh said. The Ansa McAL official urged all the fans and supporters of softball cricket to come out and support the games and, of course, the ANSA McAL beverage bars, adding that “Once again, we at ANSA McAL would like to take the opportunity to thank the Guyana Floodlight Softball Cricket Association for approaching us on this initiative in partnering to host this competition, and we look forward to our continued partnership in supporting and promoting the development of softball.”
WHAT would you do for $1000? For Nar Nar Goon’s Tim Manning it was the case of a simple request…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
For more information, and/or to register, go to the Nelson Minor Hockey website. Now that the hockey season is winding down, it’s time for parents and players to prepare for next season as Nelson Minor Hockey has opened up the registration lines for applications for the 2016-17 campaign.Players wanting to play Rep Hockey should note the deadline for registration is May 31, 2016. This allows executive members and coaches to plan for tournaments and games for the upcoming season.House players have until uly 31, 2016 to sign up for the upcoming season.
The L.V. Rogers Bombers kicked off the 2019 B.C. High School Girl’s Soccer season with a fourth-place finish at the opening tournament Saturday in Kelowna.After breezing through the round robin draw, the Bombers lost twice in the medal round to AAA-power Kelowna Owls 3-0 and Okanagan Mission of Kelowna 2-1 in the bronze medal game. Rylee Zondervan scored the lone goal for LVR against OKM.The Bombers, coached by Darren Peloso and assistant Heath Lockhurst, started fast in the tournament with a 3-0 victory over Keremeos and a 5-0 win over George Elliott of Winfield.Teigan Barnhart, Semegn Atkinson, Lila Carmichael with a penalty kick, Cayenne Caney and Zondervan scored for the Bombers against Keremeos. Barnhart and Atkinson, with a pair, led the offensive attack against George Elliott.LVR is attempting to bounce back this season after failing to qualify for the provincial tournament in 2018. The Bombers, winners of the Bronze Medal in 2017 when the school hosted the BC High School AA Girl’s Soccer Championships at the Lakeside Pitch, lost out to J Lloyd Crowe of Trail in the Kootenay Zone Finals.The Hawks finished 15th overall in the 16-team BC High School Girl’s AA Soccer Championships.
10 June 2011 On 11 June, one year after the kick-off of the first ever Fifa World Cup on African soil, South Africa marks the first anniversary of what many have called the best World Cup ever. However, as a result of the death of African National Congress (ANC) stalwart Albertina Sisulu, who will be laid to rest in Soweto on the same day, the 2010 Local Organising Committee (LOC) did not mark the tournament’s success over the weekend. LOC boss Danny Jordaan said: “While we acknowledge and welcome the events and celebrations that will take place throughout the country this weekend, as a mark of respect for the funeral of Ma Albertina Sisulu in Orlando this weekend, the 2010 LOC will host a celebratory event around the 11th of July 2011, a year after the 2010 Fifa World Cup final.” According to Jordaan, as the country marks the one year anniversary of the successful hosting of the 2010 Fifa World Cup, the LOC looks back with pride at the phenomenal achievement. “The 2010 Fifa World Cup was a time when South Africa dispelled doubt in its ability and invited the world to witness the reality, rather than believe the perceptions of what they thought South Africa was really about,” Jordaan said. “Africa’s first Fifa World Cup was Fifa’s best ever, its most commercially successful ever, and arguably its most socially important ever, set as it was in a developing country and continent with so much to prove. “As we reflect, we do so with great pride in what was achieved by all South Africans, at the legacy of world-class sporting infrastructure, improved transport and road networks, but most importantly at the social cohesion the event generated and the pride felt by South Africans and all Africans as we successfully hosted the biggest event in world sport.” Jordaan said that while the nation was conscious that the Fifa World Cup was about building a better future for South Africa and showcasing South Africa’s best attributes on a global stage, it was also about acknowledging the country’s past and paying tribute to icons who enabled us to create a country that could even dream of hosting a Fifa World Cup. “Without icons such as Walter Sisulu, Ma Albertina Sisulu, Nelson Mandela, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Govan Mbeki, Oliver Tambo and an endless list of people who dedicated their lives for the achievement of a democratic South Africa, an achievement such as a successful Fifa World Cup would simply never have been possible,” he said. A match between reigning European and world champions Spain and an Africa XI is scheduled to be played at Soccer City on 10 July, in honour of football supporters and the organisers of the tournament. Source: BuaNews